Monitoring Сivil Rights
Short monitoring summary: Civil Freedoms: the Ukrainian Way. Or Soviet?
Release date: October 11 2011, it got only worse since… Sources of information used
Maidan helps citizens to organize in groups to fight against violations of their political and human rights. We connect citizens to local human rights groups and lawyers who volunteer to provide legal help.
In 2011 we have setup Maidan Monitoring project. We monitor the observance of civil and political rights in Ukraine, documenting violations and requesting explanation and actions by authorities. Our monitoring map is here.
Our focus now is:
- freedom of peaceful assembly
- freedom of expression
- freedom of information
- freedom of speech
- freedom of conscience
- right to petition
- right to non-discrimination
- illegal coercion
In 2011-2012 we implemented a successful campaign against attempts of state censorship of the Internet.
In 2012 we made 6 local governments to adhere procedures regulating assemblies to the Constitution and the laws.
Court Decision related to freedom of assembly Inspired by Maidan Monitoring Considered the Most Important in 2012.
In 2013 we made 46 local governments to adhere procedures regulating assemblies to the Constitution and the laws.
X-files of Ukrainian Government
In 2005 we started the campaign to declassify the secret documents of high-ranking officials that eventually led to decrease the number of acts unwarrantedly classified.
In 2007 we had succeeded in declassifying some president’s acts that obviously included the corruption activities.
In 2009 due to our efforts State Management Agency revealed it’s budget.
In 2011 after two years of our lobbying campaign and legal efforts Parliament revealed its expenditures.
We are further expanding the project “Realization of the right to access to information on state activities”. We had setup a special website “Right to Know – Informational Rights in Ukraine”
Freedom of Assembly
- The Right Inalienable and Inviolable?
- Mockery of Justice: the Ukrainian Way
- The Most Vital Problems with The Implementation of the Right to Peaceful Assembly in Ukraine
- State of (un)Freedom of Assembly in Ukraine in 2012
- Freedom of peaceful Gatherings – 2013
Access to Information
- Maidan reveals Ukrainian Parliament’s expenditures. What were they hiding from people?
- Major problems in practice of implementation of the Law “On access to public information” in Ukraine
Freedom of Speech
Right to Petition